The name of all investigators of each centre involved in the project should be mentioned. It is understood that they have all agreed to participate actively in the submitted proposal. The chief of the unit/lab has to approve the proposal.
For each project, a responsible and a principle investigator has to be identified (see who can submit).
150 words maximum. The author should provide a running title and the complete title for announcement on the website of the SHCS in case of acceptance.
- present state of knowledge in the area of the proposed research with key references
- objectives of the project in relation to state of knowledge
Own research in the field
- including relevant experience and a list of publications
- relevant background information on the other investigators
Study aims and objectives
- the hypothesis which this project proposes to test
- the scientific and practical significance of the proposed research
Study design and research plan
- investigations and tests to be performed in patients
- laboratory methods
- follow-up evaluation; patient management issues
- biostatistical methods
- time-frame for the project (the research tasks to be performed within the credit and the duration of the projects should be explicitly mentioned)
- Indicate infrastructure and manpower already available for the study.
- Indicate what funds you expect to obtain from other sources (Industry, AIDS-Hilfe, etc.).
- The budget should include appropriate details as well as external funded expenses.
- For personnel, the requested position(s) and duration should be justified by a description of the tasks.
- The budget of the study should take into account only costs not already covered by the core research project of the SHCS.
Note the 4 phases of a project: preparation, operation, data analysis, manuscript writing
Specify the following costs: personnel, laboratory tests, specimen retrieval, reimbursement to the participating centres, special tasks requested from the data centre, diverse
Sample retrieval is paid according to the number of samples and not the number of aliquots:
- 1-6 samples flat rate CHF 50.-
- for more than 6 samples CHF 8.- per sample
- add costs for packaging (dry ice, boxes) and shipment (usually about CHF 50.- per shipment)
The budget may be modified by the Scientific Board (SB) and has to be approved by the Executive Board. If the authors do not agree with the allocated budget, they should immediately notify the president of the SHCS, particularly if they think that the whole project cannot be fully carried out with the allocated funds. In principle, supplement funding at a later stage will not be possible.
The budget must comply with the rules of the Swiss National Science Foundation (www.snf.ch).
- ethical committee to contact
- interim analysis (if applicable)
- how you imagine to disseminate your results (publication in scientific journal, thesis, internal report, conference, etc.)
- A proposal for authorship should be part of each submitted project.
- specification of samples and data to be used in the project
Please attach whatever information you feel would help support the submission. Such information includes:
- a covering letter
- CRF if relevant (i.e. key investigators not known to the SB)
- the curriculum vitae of the principal investigator (if not already sent before)
- an informed consent form for drug trials
- approval of the sponsoring institution's and/or the university's ethics review board